Monday, April 12, 2010

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Sorbet

It's starting to get warm here in Colorado and my family has started itching to get going on spring cleaning and gardening. Today my mom and I began working in our garden laying mulch and planting herbs. We came in for lunch and then my mom went to the ice cream parlor down the street and got both she and my dad a giant cup of creamy ice cream. Since I can't have dairy-I spent my break eating a carrot watching as they indulged in their crazy ice cream flavors. My dad had Jack Daniel's and my mom had a salted caramel. I personally love chocolate, and right about then could really have gone a cup. After finishing that day I came right in and whipped this recipe together. This is unlike any chocolate sorbet I've ever had. First of all-it does not taste like sorbet. It tastes more like heavy cream was used rather than water. It is extremely rich to say the least, but I promise it will fulfill any cravings you get for chocolate. I love raspberries and chose to use those for this recipe, but you can substitute any berry, crushed mint leaves, or nuts, of your choice. It all depends on what you're in the mood for. Divertiti! (Enjoy your meal) and stay healthy.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Sorbet:  
3 cups of water
1 cup of cane sugar
3/4 cups of cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
6oz of dark chocolate*
1 1/2 tsp of gluten free vanilla
1 1/2 tbsp of chocolate syrup**
1/2 cup of frozen organic raspberries

Bring your water to a boil. Whisk in sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Bring the mixture off the heat and add your chopped dark chocolate, vanilla and syrup. Once everything has melted into a smooth consistency, pour into a glass bowl and place in refrigerator to cool down. In the mean time, have the ice cream maker in the freezer freezing. Once mixture has cooled, add to frozen ice cream maker. Turn ice cream maker on and while it's churning add frozen raspberries. You have to add the fruit towards the beginning before the sorbet starts to freeze. Once everything is mixed, you can serve it as is at the soft serve temperature, or freeze overnight for a stiffer consistency. Drizzle with warm raspberries and enjoy!

*I use Endangered Species Supreme Dark Chocolate-72 percent cocoa content. Supports a great cause and is gluten free and vegan to boot! (http://www.chocolatebar.com/)

**The syrup is optional. It just gives a richer consistency but can be left out. I used Santa Cruz Organic Syrup in Raspberry flavoring for this recipe. It's both gluten and dairy free. (http://www.scojuice.com/products/dessert_toppings/raspberry_chocolate_syrup)

No comments:

Post a Comment