Tuesday, October 27, 2009

BLT Rotini Pasta

This is another simple, but tasty meal. When I came up with this recipe I was living with a friend who always kept our refrigerator packed full of food containing gluten. Even though I knew I couldn't eat any of it, I would always stare in at our stocked refrigerator and just think about what all I was "missing". One day I opened our fridge and there it was. The half eaten BLT. I was all out of my gluten free bread and felt  a bad craving coming on, but instead of just staring at that sandwich, I decided to take the all of the ingredients that we had sans my gluten free bread, and see what I could come up with. So here it is, my BLT pasta. It's a great way to honor a classic sandwich and turn a laid back meal into a sit-down dinner that provides tons of protein from the quinoa pasta, not to mention great left overs. Dober Tek! (Enjoy your meal) and stay healthy.


BLT Rotini Pasta:
8oz rottini quinoa pasta
1/2 cup of olive oil
4 pieces of bacon (make sure it's gluten free)
1 1/2 packed cups of fresh spinach
1 large finely chopped tomato
1 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste

Bring water to a boil and add a touch of salt, then pasta.
While pasta is cooking, in a separate saucepan fry bacon. Once crispy, take out and place on paper towels for excess fat to drip off.
In the same saucepan used for bacon, without draining grease, add olive oil, garlic, and tomato.
Saute until tomatoes become "mushy" and thicken a little.
Add spinach and saute until it is cooked.
By now your pasta should be done. Drain water, then add the sauce in the saucepan. Once noodles are completely coated, take your bacon and rip into small pieces over pasta mixture.
Mix together and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment