Thursday, September 17, 2009

Emily's Mediterranean Shrimp Scampi

My cousin Emily just turned 13 and got her first job helping my mom out in her office. My mom is a jewelry rep and is able to work from home. So every Wednesday Emily comes out to the house after school and works for an hour or two while I cook, and then we all eat. Emily along with the rest of my family has been kind enough to let me test all my recipes on them. She is not only a trooper but brutally honest, so when she said "This is definitely one for your blog!" I trusted her. So here it is, very simple, but still tasty. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as Emily and I did. Kalí Óreksi! (Enjoy your meal) and stay healthy.


Emily's Mediterranean Shrimp Scampi:
1/2 cup sliced and pitted kalamata olives
1 large lemon
4 large heirloom tomatoes diced

1 garlic clove minced
1 1/2 cups organic virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 pound uncooked peeled shrimp

12 oz angel hair rice pasta


In two separate pots, each holding two quarts of water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. In a separate saucepan add olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and saute on low. As the oil browns, add basil, tomatoes, and kalamata olives, stirring occasionally. Place a square of cheesecloth over your lemon to avoid seeds and pulp, and squeeze each side until all the juice is out into the saucepan. Cover and let the sauce simmer on low. 

Add pasta and shrimp to separate pots of water. When pasta is al dente drain and wash in cool water. Once shrimp turns pink remove and drain as well. Add boiled shrimp to sauce and allow to sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour sauce over pasta, zest a small amount of lemon on top, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment