Saturday, September 12, 2009

Maple Walnut Sour Cream Muffins

I'll admit it. I am normally not a muffin person. I much rather prefer a good piece of pie or a croissant. So I'm not exactly sure what motivated me to come up with this recipe, but boy am I glad I did. These are a must try. The mixture between the tangy moist bottom and buttery crunch of the topping is amazing. They are not overwhelmingly sweet which makes them great as a warm breakfast muffin or a yummy dessert crumbled over vanilla "ice cream". ¡Buen Apetito! (Enjoy your meal) and stay healthy.


Maple Walnut Sour Cream Muffins:
For the batter:
1/2 cup earth balance or butter substitute, room temperature
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs

1 cup sour cream substitute (I use Tofutti "Sour Supreme")
1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped


For the topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour
3 Tbs earth balance or butter substitute, chopped
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped small

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp allspice (optional)

Combine room temperature butter with maple syrup in electric mixer. Slowly beating the mixture add the eggs one at a time. Then add vanilla extract and sour cream. Combine all the dry ingredients (except nuts) to butter mixture and mix. Once mixture is evenly beat, stir in walnuts. Fill muffin cups approximately half full with batter.


In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients for the topping. Make sure the butter is room temperature so it clumps correctly. Pinch butter into dime sized pieces and add until the mixture is evenly combined. Spoon desired amount onto top of batter in muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degree's for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. sounds so good, but not for me sadly I am allergic to eggs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also used to have an intolerance to eggs so I know all to well what you're feeling! I have made these muffins both ways (with and without the eggs) and found they turn out virtually the same. I have experimented with both Ener-G egg replacer, which works well, but leaves the muffins drier, and also used applesauce with baking powder, which adds a little sweetness and keeps them moist. I recommend trying the applesauce for this recipe. You'll need 1/2 cups of applesauce plus 1 tsp of baking powder. (1/4 cup of applesauce per egg) I hope this works for you! If there are any other recipes you're questioning please comment and I can give you my revised recipes so you can enjoy them as well! It's so important to me that everyone can enjoy food no matter what their allergies. I know how hard it is to find recipes that cater to allergy free living so I try to make them many different ways, so everyone can enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete